The Ultimate Frugal Okanagan Summer Activity Guide
Are you living in the Okanagan or planning on taking a trip there this summer? Here is a guide that I originally created for my other website, SimplyFrugal.ca that I thought you would enjoy over here at FrugalOkanagan.com! It’s full of fun, frugal activities that take place in the Okanagan all summer long. If you have an event or know of a really cool place to visit, let me know and I’ll add it to the list!
Food & Wine:
The Okanagan is well know for its award winning wines and wineries. Many of them offer free tours and wine tastings. See a huge list of Okanagan wineries, here.
- Okanagan Wine Festivals – They have a great list of events that happen all year long.
- Mile High Wine & Music – at Silver Star – August 12, 2017, 4pm – 7pm
- Cider Tasting – at BX Press Cidery. Tastings are daily from 11am – 5pm starting May long weekend.
- Gasthaus on the Lake – in Peachland
- Okanagan Feast of Fields – at Caldwell Heritage Farm in Kelowna – August 13, 2017.
- Okanagan Spirits Craft Distillery – Tastings available all day Monday – Saturday.
- Rogers Bulk Food Store -in Armstrong – Open Monday – Saturday, 9am – 5pm.
- Okanagan Grocery Artisan Breads Bakery – in Kelowna – Open Tuesday – Saturday 9:30am – 5:30pm
- Okanagan Bakehouse: in Vernon – Open Tuesday-Friday 7:30am – 5:30pm and Saturday 7:30am – 4:30pm
- Carmelis Goat Cheese tours – in Kelowna – Daily from 10:00am to 6:00pm
- Many Hat’s Theatre Company Presents: The Norweigans – in Penticton Thursdays – Sundays July 6 – 30, 2017.
- Caravan Farm Theatre Presents: The Ballad of Weedy Peetstraw – in Armstrong July 25 – August 27, 2017.
- 8th Annual Retro Concert Weekend – at Sun Peaks August 11 – 13, 2017.
- Trooper, Summer Concert Series – at Sun Peaks August 26, 2017.
- Civic Sounds Live Music – in Vernon on Thursdays throughout July and August. 7pm – 9pm.
- Parks Alive – in Kelowna at various parks
- Salmon Arm Roots and Blues Festival – in Salmon Arm August 17 – 20, 2017.
- Lake Country Art Walk – in Lake Country September 9 – 10, 2017.
- We like to boast about all our amazing beaches here in the Okanagan. Take a look at this list of the Best Okanagan Beaches.
- Check out VernonBeaches.com for a list of most of the beaches in the North Okanagan
U-Pick Fruit & Fruit Stands:
- See here for another great list of fruit stands and u-pick fruit places in the Okanagan.
- Local Fruit Stands to watch for in Peachland: Buchanan Rd, Drought Hill, Elliot Drive, Turner Avenue, Hwy 97
- Rattlesnake Island Swim – in Peachland August 6, 2016.
- BC Cup Weekend – at Silver Star Mountain Resort, August 4 – 6, 2017.
- Kelowna Across the Lake Swim – in Kelowna in Okanagan Lake July 15, 2017.
- Peach Classic Triathlon – in Penticton July 16, 2017.
- Giants Head Freeride Longboard Competition – in Summerland June 26 – 28, 2017.
- L’Alpe du Grand Blanc Road Bike Race – at Big White Ski Resort, July 23, 2017 from 8am – 12pm.
- Granfondo Axel Merckx – in Penticton July 9, 2017
- Bats for a Cause softball tournament – in Kelowna July 29 – 30, 2017
- 55+ BC Games – in Vernon, September 12-16, 2017
Festivals, Fairs & Community Events:
- 2017 Customs and Classics Car Show – in Oyama at Swalwell Park, August 20, 2017
- Peach City Beach Cruise – in Penticton from June 23 – 25, 2017.
- Penticton Elvis Festival – in Penticton from June 22 – 25, 2017.
- Center of Gravity – in Kelowna from July 28 – 30, 2017.
- Great Train Robbery & BBQ – in Summerland starting June 4 – September 3, 2017. 1:30pm and 4pm.
- Kelowna Dragon Boat Festival – in Kelowna August 26 – 27, 2017.
- Okanagan Military Tattoo – in Vernon July 29 – 30, 2017.
- Penticton Peach Festival – in Penticton August 9 – 13, 2017.
- Interior Provincial Exhibition & Stampede – in Armstrong August 30 – September 3, 2017.
- Salmon Arm Fall Fair – in Salmon Arm September 8 – 10, 2017.
- BC’s Family Fishing Event – All across BC June 16 – 18, 2017.
- Sunshine Festival – in Vernon June 17, 2017 from 9am – 5pm.
- Endless Summer Show & Shine – in Summerland September 9, 2017.
- Funtastic Music Festival & Ball Tournament – in Vernon June 30 – July 3, 2017.
- Westside Daze– in West Kelowna June 30 – July 2, 2017.
- Summer Reading Club – at Okanagan libraries. Check your local branch for times and dates.
- Craft & Country Mountain Fest – at Big White Ski Resort, June 24 – 25, 2017
- Cinema Under the Stars – in Penticton September 15, in Vernon September 16
Places of interest:
Vernon & Area:
- Davison Orchards
- Atlantis Waterslides
- Allan Brooks Nature Centre
- Caetani Cultural Centre
- Cruise Okanagan
- Downtown Murals in Vernon
- O’Keefe Ranch
- Okanagan Science Centre
- Oyama Ziplines
- Silver Star Mountain Resort
- Falkland Museum & Heritage Park
- Vernon Dog Parks
- Vernon Museum
- Village Green Mall
- Starlight Drive-In Theatre
- Log Barn
- Vernon Playgrounds
- Vernon Public Art Gallery
- Powerhouse Theatre
- Village Cheese
- Blue Hills Lavender
Kelowna & Area:
- Kangaroo Creek Farm
- Okanagan Lavender and Herb Farm
- H2O Adventure + Fitness Centre
- Okanagan Military Museum
- Kelowna Art Gallery
- Lake Country Art Gallery
- Alternator Centre for Contemporary Arts
- Gellatly Nut Farm
- Myra Canyon Adventure Park
- Safari Ridge Adventure Park
- Scandia Golf & Games
- The Jammery
- Wild Play Element Parks
- Geert Maas Sculpture Gardens
- Okanagan Heritage Museum
- Kelowna Community Theatre
- Okanagan Symphony Orchestra
- Farm to Table
- Orchard Park Shopping Centre
- Big White Ski Resort
- Hoof Prints Barnyard
- Paynter’s Fruit Market
Penticton & Area:
- Parrot Island Sanctuary
- Peachland Museum
- Little Schoolhouse
- Beach Ride Rental Co.
- Penticton River Channel
- ZipZone Adventure Park
- Kettle Valley Steam Railway
- Cherry Lane Shopping Centre
- Linden Gardens
- LocoLanding Adventure Park
- Osoyoos Desert Model Railroad
- Penticton Museum
- Penticton Carriage Tours
- SS Sicamous Paddle Wheeler and Heritage Park
Okanagan Tourism Websites:
- Tourism Vernon
- Armstrong Tourism
- Enderby Tourism
- Tourism Kelowna
- Lake Country Tourism
- West Kelowna Tourism
- Summerland Tourism
- Peachland Tourism
- Tourism Penticton
- Okanagan Falls Tourism
- Oliver Tourism
- Naramata Tourism
- Osoyoos Tourism